Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Don't Get Played!


So about two weeks ago I took my son to see the new movie “Gamer” with Gerald Butler (from the 300). The movie is about a game called “Slayers” where players at home use real people in these crazy warlike boards. All the participants (people in the game) are actual prisoners…. They volunteer to have nanomites and microchips put into them in order for gamers (people at home) to purchase them and play them in the games. Now if the prisoners get past 30 boards then they are freed from prison but….. If they die in the game they die for real. This game is played with real ammunition there is nothing. I mean this game is not a game, it’s the real deal. Crazy right? In this movie there is also a game that came out before the game “Slayers” called “Society”. Now “Society” is basically a game where real life people get paid like a 9 to 5 to become characters in a Sims like reality game. Of course microchips and nanomites allow gamers at home to make you do whatever they like: sex, partying, drugs, raves etc. I mean I’m watching the movie and thinking this is some crazy and deep shit. There are so many moral questions that come to mind in this movie. Like the main thing I kept thinking about was the value of life and peoples lack of respect for it. How could any human being actually feel like it’s okay to purchase and put someone else’s life in their hands? I mean the games don’t look like a video game it’s like actual live footage, these people die on the game and they die in real life. I mean would you take that responsibility? What kind of person does that power over someone make you? Some power is not meant for man to possess. Some people have this sick sadistic nature that overpowers them, makes them do things that are inhumane. Then there is the questions of the people being played, they volunteered for this. How low does a person have to get to allow someone else to have complete control over them? I mean COMPLETE control over them, they are putting their lives into the hands of others. Not knowing what kind of person is controlling them, perverts, rapist, pedophiles, racist. They are blindly giving someone, anyone control over their life. The more movies I see, the more I see lack of respect for life. Even on the news people killing babies, elderly, just people in general and I just see a lack of humanity. This movie was action packed and good prevailed, but to me the movie was morbidly heartbreaking. I left the theater and the only thing I wanted to do was talk to my son about the joy of living and the joy of having complete control over your own life. I just wanted to make sure that he never loses value of his own life to the point where he ever lets anyone or anything control him completely. I mean if you think about it with or without nanomites people let others and things control them, they let money make them do inhumane things, They let power make them do inhumane things to others. People put their lives into the hands of people they don’t fully know or understand whether for sex or money or just out of loneliness. People lose sight of the value of life, whether it be theirs or others. I wonder how people can watch movies with torture and gruesome killing and be entertained? How can watching two dogs rip each other limb for limb be entertaining? How could anyone want to rape a woman and beat her and take away her pride and beauty? Who would want to be a part of a gang that ask that you kill and innocent person, or cut a beautiful girls face in order to be a part? Are we that lonely in a world populated by millions? Are we that far from God that these things are acceptable? I know I know… I’m going in. It was a movie meant for entertainment…… or was it meant to open your eyes? I mean am I looking too far into this or are you not looking far enough

1 comment:

  1. DEEP GIRL DEEP!

    This movie sounds insane and I want to see it not because of the torture aspect, but it just sounds too crazy!

    Sadly, there are so many ppl in this world, who would actually replicate this in real life. We live in a society filled with people who are so far away from God and humanity thats its unreal. THere are people who do not respect LIFE at all..the pedophile, murderers and rapists you've already included plus more.

    I always wonder what goes on in the mind of people who write movies like this and SAW and all those other twisted films. There is a VERY thin line between reality and creativity to me. Sometimes that line gets crossed and tied together and we have SICK SICK SICK things that happen in this world we live in.

    The best thing you can do is what you do, appreciate life and teach your son the value of his and others. A part of the problem of today is the lack of guidance for the youth. No one is teaching them morals, respect and the beauty of the opportunity we have to be alive. So, continue being a role model to your son and reminding him of those things.

    Good blog ;-)

    ReplyDelete